- Grease the 8in round mould with melted butter or corn oil.
- To make Caramel, cook sugar and water until caramelized or till golden brown. (Do not stir the boiling syrup, only swirl the saucepan from time to time as to prevent crystallisation.)
- Remove the caramel from heat and pour it into the greased mould. Allow to set.
- To make Custard, warm up the coconut milk and fresh milk.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, yolks and sugar. Pour the warm milk into the egg mixture, mix well and strain to remove unwanted particles in the custard.
- Arrange the lychee halves on the caramelized mould before pouring in custard.
- To make the Sponge, whisk the egg yolks and 20g of sugar till thick and frothy. Put aside.
- Whisk the meringue, egg whites with 60g of sugar till stiff. Gently fold in the yolks and whites mixture.
- Sieve in the flour and lastly add in the melted butter/corn oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the light sponge batter onto the custard mixture. (It will float onto the surface if you have done your sponge right or will just sink to the bottom if you tend to over-mix your sponge batter).
- Steam bake the cake by placing the cake mould in a baking tray. Fill the tray with water about 1.5in deep.
- Bake at 170 degrees Celcius for 60 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for at least an hour before removing the cake from the mould. Serve chilled.
You may also like