Follow this recipe for ways to make your own Chapati at home!
- 2 cup atta flour
- 1 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil/ghee
- Extra flour to lightly roll the dough
- In a bowl, add flour and salt.
- Add water a little at a time and mix with the flour. Once the mixture comes together, knead the dough with your fist and fingers for 10 minutes until it is soft.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Then moisten your hand with the oil/ghee and knead the dough for another 5 minutes until it is feels soft and smooth.
- Roll the dough into 10 or 12 equal size balls. Take a ball of dough and lightly cover it in the extra flour and roll it with a rolling pin. Roll it out to be flat and round. Keep the rest of the balls covered.
- Heat the griddle until it is very hot and lightly grease it before placing the chapati on it.
- Cook on each side for about 30 seconds then flip it and cook the same. You can hold down the chapati with a tea towel as bubbles will form. Brown spots will appear on the chapati.
- Then remove from heat. Do the same for the rest of the dough.
- Serve hot with dhal or any curry. You can also use it as a wrap with any fillings.