This recipe (adapted courtesy of Taste.com.au) and photo are courtesy of MSD.
- 1.4kg chickenwhole chicken cut into 4 pieces
- 8cups water
- 2stalks lemongrassquartered
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 8cloves garlicthinly sliced
- 1tsp sea salt
- 3 shallotsfinely chopped
- 5cm fresh gingerpeeled, finely grated
- 1 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/2tsp ground turmeric
- 2tbsp oil
- 100g bean thread vermicelli noodles
- 2 shallotsthinly sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggspeeled, quartered
- 65g bean sprouts1 cup
- 1/4cup fresh coriander leaves
- Bean thread noodles (also known as Chinese vermicelli, mung bean noodles or glass noodles) are considered to be a low GI option and are naturally low in fat, making them a suitable choice for this dish.
- Using the liquid in which the chicken was poached in is a better option to high salt alternatives such as chicken stock cubes.