This recipe (adapted courtesy of Taste.com.au) and photo are courtesy of MSD.
- 1.4kg chicken (whole chicken cut into 4 pieces)
- 8 cups water
- 2stalks lemongrass (quartered)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 8 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 shallots (finely chopped)
- 5 cm fresh ginger (peeled, finely grated)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp oil
- 100 g bean thread vermicelli noodles
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (peeled, quartered)
- 65 g bean sprouts (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Place the chicken in a saucepan. Add the water, lemongrass, lime leaves, half the garlic and salt. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, reserving the poaching liquid. Cool slightly. Remove and discard the skin and bones. Shred the chicken. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound French shallot, ginger and remaining garlic until a coarse paste forms. Add the cumin, ground coriander and peppercorns. Pound until peppercorns are coarsely crushed. Stir in turmeric.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the French shallot mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes or until aromatic. Add reserved poaching liquid. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes to develop the flavours. Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Season.
- Cook the noodles following packet directions. Drain. Divide among bowls. Top with the chicken and shallot. Divide the broth among 4 bowls. Top with egg, bean sprouts and fresh coriander.