Whisk up this super easy beetroot chocolate cake to impress your friends and family tonight. Topped up with classic vanilla ice cream for completion.
This recipe is courtesy of Whittaker’s Chocolate.
- 1/4 to 1/2 (cup desiccated coconut or fine white breadcrumbs)
- 400 g beetroot
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 400 g castor sugar
- 200 ml oil (canola or rice bran)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar to dust (optional)
- Cream or ice cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius. Grease a 23cm cake tin, or 2 small cake tins, and coat with coconut or breadcrumbs. Tip out any excess crumbs that haven’t stuck to the sides and bottom of the tin.
- Cook the beetroot in boiling water for around 25 minutes until tender. Peel while warm and grate.
- Melt the chocolate in a warm water bath.
- Mix the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add the oil, grated beetroot and chocolate. Stir to combine. Add the vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt and mix through.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake on the lower shelves in the oven. After 10 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius. Leave in the oven for approximately 1 hour for a large cake, but test for doneness after about 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve if you wish. Enjoy with ice cream or cream.