This Colourful Lamington recipe and photo are courtesy of Planta.
- 120g margarine
- 350g caster sugar
- 260g wheat flour (sieved)
- 240g fresh milk
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1tbsp vanilla essence
- 2tsp baking powder (sieved)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1pack strawberry jelly
- 120g dessicated coconut
- Beat the egg and sugar until fluffy and light or until it comes to a ribbon like texture.
- Add flour, vanilla essence and mix well.
- Melt margarine with milk, then add 1/3 of it to the batter and mix well.
- Then add that milk mixture to the remaining 2/3 of the batter and combine well.
- Divide the batter into two 8in square tins and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees Celcius for 30-45 minutes.
- Once the cake is cooled, cling wrap and keep it in the fridge for at least two hours. Then remove the sides of the cake and cut into 12 portions.
- Prepare the jelly as per instructions on the box. Once jelly is ready, dip each cake into the jelly.
- Then roll each cake onto dessicated coconut to fully coat the cake. Shake of excess coconut. Then leave the cakes to cool.
- For variation, use different flavoured jelly or chocolate. Replace coconut for chocolate rice.