Chef Zul is the Malay sous chef at the Makan Kitchen, DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur.
- 50ml ghee
- 50ml cooking oil
- 300g mutton
- 1kg Basmathi rice, soaked and drained
- 10g cumin
- 5 bay leaves
- 5g star anise
- 5g green cardamom
- 5 black cardamom
- 5g cinnamon
- 200g onion
- 5g green chilli
- 10g tomato
- 15g ground garlic
- 10g ground ginger
- 15g chilli powder
- 10g turmeric powder
- 5g garam masala
- 100g ground mint leaves
- 2l water
- 10g fried shallots
- Sugar and salt
- Heat the cooking oil and ghee in a large pot.
- Add all the spices (cumin, star anise, cardamom and cinnamon) and bay leaves.
- Sauté all the ingredients and add the ground onion, chilli, garlic and ginger. Stir until well-mixed.
- Add turmeric and chilli powder. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add tomato, mint leaves and mutton, then cook for 10 minutes. Next, add garam masala, sugar and salt to your preferred taste.
- Add the Basmathi rice and water. The water must be of the same level as the rice.
- Cover the pot with aluminium foil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to a slow medium heat and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, garnish with fried shallots before serving.