This recipe is best with
- Pie pastry
- 125g cold butter, diced
- 25g castor sugar
- 170g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg yolk, combined with 1 tbsp cold water
- 170g butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 50g corn syrup
- 1 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g melted dark chocolate
- 125g roasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 40g plain flour
- Grease a non-stick 20cm loose based fluted pie tin. Sift flour into a mixing bowl and add diced butter. Blend with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar and essence and mix well. Add the combined egg and water, then knead lightly until a soft dough is formed. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough and roll between two pieces of plastic sheets into a thin circle that is big enough to line the pie tin.
- Ease the pastry dough into the bottom of the pie tin and press out the excess. Trim off excess dough from the edge of the tin.
- For the filling, beat butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition. Mix in corn syrup, brandy (optional) and vanilla essence.
- Blend in melted chocolate, pecans and sift in flour to mix. Pour chocolate filling into the prepared mould until 80% full. Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 25-30 minutes or until filling is set and done.
- Transfer baked pie to a wire rack to cool.