This Prawn Oil Aglio Olio Pasta is a great quick fix for last minute guests or dinner parties. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- prawn oil
- 200g prawn heads and shells
- 200ml red palm oil
- 300g spaghetti
- 8tbsp prawn oil
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 6 to 8 dried chillies, soaked and roughly chopped
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs flat leaf parsley or coriander, roughly chopped
- 40g Parmesan cheese, grated
- To prepare prawn oil: Preheat oven to 140°C. Place prawn heads and shells in small saucepan, pour red palm oil over and cover pan with a lid. Simmer for 2 hours. Allow to cool, strain the oil and pour into a bottle. Chill.
- To prepare pasta: Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Toss with a little prawn oil after cooking and set aside.
- Heat half of the rest of the oil in a wok. When it starts to smoke, add garlic and chillies and stir-fry over medium heat till aromatic.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir-fry over high heat till pasta is well-coated. Season to taste and add the parsley or coriander. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.