- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 100g castor sugar
- Grated orange rind from 2 oranges
- 50g finely chopped seedless red dates
- 50g corn oil
- 60ml orange juice
- 110g superfine flour
- 1/2 tsp double-action baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Grease and flour two mini chiffon cake pans.
- Whisk eggs, cream of tartar and sugar until fluffy and stiff. Add orange rind and red dates. Continue to whisk for a few seconds. Beat in orange juice and corn oil. Lightly fold in sifted dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into prepared pans and steam over rapid high heat for 25-30 minutes. Leave cakes in the mould till completely cooled, then remove cakes.