Learn this heritage recipe Rendang Minang from home cook, Razif Sidek.
To read the full interview with Razif, visit this page.
- 1kg beef
- For blending together with beef stock:
- 350g red onions
- 100g ginger
- 50g galangal
- 50g fresh turmeric
- 5 stalks lemongrass
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 turmeric leaf
- For cooking:
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 300g chilli paste
- 800ml coconut cream
- 50g kerisik (toasted, grated coconut)
- salt to taste
- 1 piece asam gelugor (optional)
- palm sugar to taste
- 1 turmeric leaf, sliced thinly
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thinly
- In a rice cooker, boil beef till tender. Set beef stock aside. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Blend all the ingredients with the beef stock and set aside.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a wok and saute the chilli paste over low heat until you get pecah minyak (the oil separates). Add blended mixture and continue to saute till fragrant. Add the beef pieces and remaining beef stock (if any) and cook over medium heat.
- Add the coconut cream and kerisik. Cook until the beef absorbs the flavours of the spices thoroughly and the colour turns dark brown. Add in salt, asam and palm sugar to taste.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with sliced turmeric leaves and kaffir lime leaves.