This version of Sambal Tumis Sotong was a favourite of the late Tunku Abdul Rahman
- 1/2 kg squid
- 20 pcs dried chillies
- 1/2 cup tamarind water(2 tbsp tamarind past mixed with 1/2 cup water and drained)
- 5 pcs shallots(peeled)
- 2 pcs red onions(chopped)
- 2 pcs garlic(peeled)
- 1/2 inch belacan (dried shrimp paste)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Roughly cut the dried chillies with a scissors and then soak them in hot water.
- Once the dried chillies have expanded (roughly 10 minutes), drain the chillies and place them in a blender. Add shallots, garlic, and belacan, and blend until smooth.
- Heat up the cooking oil in a saucepan or wok, and add the blended mixture and cook until fragrant.
- Add the squid, tamarind water, salt, sugar and chopped onions, and cook until the gravy thickens to your liking.