This recipe is best with
- 60g lukewarm water
- 6 tsp instant yeast
- A pinch of castor sugar
- 25g butter
- 120g lukewarm low-fat milk
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 250g high-protein flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 30g soft brown sugar
- 25g sultanas
- Glaze (combine ingredients)
- 1 tsp beaten egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Topping (combine ingredients)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Combine lukewarm water and yeast in a small bowl. Add castor sugar. Cover and leave aside to turn frothy.
- Sift flours into a large mixing bowl. Add salt and brown sugar. Add in the butter and mix until the flour turns crumbly.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and the milk. Knead into a smooth dough for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough into a lightly floured bowl and cover with a damp tea towel.
- Leave aside to proof in a warm place for 40 minutes or until dough is doubled in size. Remove the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down the dough. Add the sultanas.
- Divide into small portions of 50-60g each and roll each into small olive shapes. Place on lightly greased baking trays. Leave to rise for 40-45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Brush with glaze and sprinkle with combined sesame seeds mixture. Bake in preheated oven at 220°C for about 15 minutes.