199, Jalan Tun Razak,
Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-2168 1919
Business hours: 7pm to 10pm.

BE IT street food or traditional Malay dishes, diners can taste them all at GTower Hotel Kuala Lumpur’s Ramadan Buffet Dinner.

The buffet spread brings together some famous local dishes from across the country as well as popular street food in the Klang Valley.

GTower senior sous chef Sharifah Norani Syed Zainudin, who is also known as chef Sherry, said diners could have the best of both worlds with local cuisines and street food all under one roof.

“The buffet is unique this year because we have local dishes from different states as well as invited several street food vendors to prepare their popular dishes here.

“The buffet spread boasts of 80% Malaysian dishes while the remaining 20% include salads and kerabu selection that have a Thailand influence, as well as Western cuisine,” she said.

Several live cooking stations are erected for the street food such as popiah basah,roti jala, putu bambu and apam balik.

A sampling of the kerabu and ulam dishes on GTower’s Ramadan buffet. — Photos M. Azhar Arif/The Star

A sampling of the kerabu and ulam dishes on GTower’s Ramadan buffet. — Photos M. Azhar Arif/The Star

One of the highlights in the buffet spread is Manuk Pansuh, a dish where chicken is cooked in bamboo. It is often prepared for special occasions, especially on Gawai Dayak in Sarawak.

“The chicken is marinated with ginger, red chilli, bird’s eye chilli, onion and lemongrass for about four hours while tapioca leaves are boiled until soft before being added to the chicken to cook.

“Using the bamboo helps seal the flavours of the meat,” she said.

The tender golden yellow chicken with soft tapioca leaves offer a distinctive aroma with a spicy aftertaste due to the inclusion of bird’s eye chilli.

Diners must also try the all-time favourite Sup Tulang Rawan at GTower.

The sumptuous hot Australian-imported beef spare ribs soup makes a good appetiser and warms the stomach.

The meat, boiled for four hours, is rich in flavour as the chef adds in cardamom, clove, cinnamon stick and star anise as well as sauteed onion, lemongrass, whole black pepper, ginger, red onion and garlic.

Although it was a little oily, I downed two bowls of soup with generous garnishing of spring onion and fried shallots. It was just too good to be missed.

Another local favourite is the Gulai Tempoyak Ikan Patin (top pic), which is famous in the East Coast.

The Sotong Masak Hijau is spicy and hot.

The Sotong Masak Hijau is spicy and hot.

Thanks to the fermented durian’s mild taste, those who do not fancy the fruit can give this a try as it was not pungent.

My personal favourite was the Sotong Masak Hijau which hit all the right notes.

The dish from Sabah was cooked with green chilli and bird’s eye chilli, making this a spicy option.

The squid itself was well-marinated and cooked with a mixture of sugar and lime to taste.

Other traditional dishes such as Ayam Masak Kuzi, Daging Goreng Kunyit, Pucuk Paku Goreng and Sayur Masak Lontong are also available on the buffet.

Ramadan buffet preview at GTower...  -- M. Azhar Arif/The Star 14 April 2016 (CHICKEN LASAGNE)

Ramadan buffet preview at GTower… — M. Azhar Arif/The Star 14 April 2016

Those opting for something different can look forward to Western treats such as the chicken lasagne and a variety of pastries.

The Ramadan Buffet Dinner is priced at RM98 nett for adults and RM49 nett for children and senior citizen.

It will take place at the GTower Mezzanine Floor from June 9 to July 3, from 7pm to 10pm.

This is the writer’s personal observation and not an endorsement by StarMetro.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.