IT’S time to go nuts over nuts.
In conjunction with National Nut Day, which is being celebrated in some parts of the world today, let’s find out a little more about this nutritious snack.
There is a wide range of nuts around the world and the most popular ones are peanuts, pistachios, walnuts, cashew nuts, pecans, almonds, macadamias, just to name a few.
Some nuts are healthier than others. Nuts not only have tons of flavours but are also power-packed with nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, saturated fats, fibre, protein and vitamin E.
Some, they say, help lower cholesterol, aid in weight-loss, improve skin conditions, and even lower the risk of heart attacks.
Always eat them in moderation. Too much of anything is not healthy.
Nuts are used in many types of cuisines, both savoury and sweet dishes. You can make peanut butter, pecan pie and even satay sauce!
So, here are 10 facts you didn’t know about nuts in a nutshell.
1. Cashew nut shells are poisonous which explains why cashew nuts are sold without their shells. They actually belong to the poison ivy family.
2. Pistachio is actually a fruit. They have been classified as a fruit not just because of their colour but also because it contains chlorophyll.
3. Peanut is a legume. Not a nut. It is a type of plant with seeds that grow inside pods and it grows underground.
4. Nuts can be used as a thickening agent (eg: in curries). Just soak them in water and blend together to form a paste to add into your dish.
5. Macadamias are poisonous to dogs. So, avoid feeding them to dogs because it can be fatal. It will cause paralysis and muscle tremor.
6. Chestnuts have the lowest fat and calorie content while macadamias have the highest. Nonetheless, these are unsaturated fats – the healthier fats.
7. Ground walnut shells can be used for cleaning old brass while the nut itself can be used to remove scratches on wooden furnitures. Just rub a walnut against your scratched furniture and voila, it is good as new!
8. Among all the nuts, walnuts have the highest content of omega-3 fatty acids. So, it is time to add more walnuts to your diet.
9. Some paints contain walnut shells because it helps add texture.
10. Lastly, no, coconuts are not nuts.
Here are some nuts-based recipes you can try:
1. Layered Almond Cookies. Click for recipe here.
2. Bacara’s Pistachio Creme Brulee.Click for recipe here.
3. Honey Peanut Butter Rolls. Click for recipe here.