Sweet soups are often served after a meal as a dessert or eaten as a teatime snack.
There is a whole range of sweet soups, many of them using medicinal ingredients which are beneficial for health, such as ginseng and aloe vera.
These dessert soups are also considered to be “cooling”, which makes them perfect for the heatwave we’re currently experiencing.
- 2 large stems aloe vera (pared and cut into cubes)
- 10g hairs of ginseng root (young sum soe)
- 15g white fungus
- 2 honey dates (mat choe)
- 30g red dates (seeded)
- 200g cane sugar
- 2 litres water
- Soak white fungus in warm water until soft. Drain and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Bring water to a boil, then add hairs of ginseng roots, red dates, honey dates and cane sugar. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add white fungus and aloe vera. Bring to a boil over a gentle low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Serve dessert hot or cold.