This recipe is best with
- 800g potatoes, washed
- 40g butter
- 140ml hot milk
- Salt to taste
- A dash of pepper
- For the gravy:
- 30g plain flour
- 30g butter
- 320ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- Place potatoes in a pan with enough cold water to cover them. Add 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and put aside to cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and put them back into the pan. Add butter. Mash the potatoes over low heat until a smooth texture is achieved. Add the hot milk slowly and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until it turns creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with the gravy or sauce for extra taste.
- To prepare the gravy or sauce, heat butter in a non-stick saucepan then stir in flour. Make a roux or allow the paste to brown a little over very low heat, stirring all the time. Do not allow it to burn.
- Blend in the stock gradually and allow to cook until it has a thick consistency.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and mustard.