- 250g Bombay onions, peeled, washed and sliced thinly (spread out on a tray and dried in the sun for several hours)
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup castor sugar or to taste
- 2 tsp salt
- 3cm cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 3 dried red chillies
- 3 cilipadi
- Put onions, dried chillies and cilipadi in a dry glass jar or bottle.
- Boil vinegar, sugar and salt for eight to 10 minutes.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and peppercorns.
- Leave to cool.
- Pour cooled vinegar mixture over onions in the jar.
- Cover jar tightly for one to two days before serving.