As quoted by somebody, Rose Milk is a Drink, but Bandung is a feeling!!! But I am sure the quote would be mentioned by a person who had the opportunity to taste both the drinks. As a person from India, my acquaintance with this drink was always as “Rose Milk”. But when I found that a similar drink is available in Malaysia, I was sure to give a try. (Least I knew about Malaysian Food & Drinks during my initial years of stay in Malaysia). Bandung Rose Syrup & Rose Milk- Both being the same drink, but the only difference is that Rose Milk is usually made with Rose Syrup mixed with Milk. Whereas Bandung is prepared with Evaporated Milk or Condensed Milk and Rose Syrup. Both the drinks are topped with loads of Ice Cubes or served cold. Bandung is slightly thinner compared to Rose Milk. Another version called Syrup Bandung prepared without Milk/Evaporated Milk is one common drink in Malaysia & Singapore. Bandung Rose Syrup is a quick & wonderful summer cooler made with rose syrup & milk. Mix the Rose Syrup into the chilled Evaporated Milk and there you go with a cooling & refreshing drink. Chill it up in the refrigerator or serve it topped with ice cubes & preferred garnishes. The Pink Colour and above all the inviting Rose flavour is what is best about this drink. You can simply sneak in this wonderful refresher in your Party Menu. Another advantage of this Rose Milk is that it happily falls under the category of a dessert masquerading as a drink.
- For Bandung Rose Syrup:
- 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 Cups Water
- 3/4 Cup Rose Syrup
- a few Ice Cubes
- Optional Ingredients For Garnishing:
- a few Teaspoons Sweet Corn
- a few Teaspoons Red Bean
- a few Teaspoons Barley
- a few pieces Cincau
- In a large bowl combine the Rose Syrup, Evaporated Milk. Pour in the Water and stir well until well combined. Top it up with few Ice cubes.
- Pour in the Bandung Rose Syrup into a tall glass and garnish with a few teaspoons of cooked Barley/Red Bean, a few teaspoons of Sweet Corn or with a few pieces of Grass Jelly(Cincau) (Optional).
- Can add all the above garnishing or play around with one or two of your preferred ingredient. Serve Bandung Rose Syrup chilled, immediately.
- Can substitute Evaporated Milk with Condensed Milk(use about 2-3 Tbsp). Condensed Milk and Rose Syrup have added sugar in it so adjust accordingly.
- Can add more Ice cubes if you prefer to.