Satay is the signature dish of Sate Kajang HJ Samuri. It’s only natural for satay lovers to try and replicate the dish. Try out this delicious recipe and don’t forget to dip your satay in the peanut sauce before you eat it. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
To make a lemongrass brush, simply pound the bulb of a stalk of lemongrass until it frays.
This Sate Kajang Hj Samuri recipe (translated), from iresepi.net, was given a cursory nod by the founder. “Boleh-lah,” he said.
- 5stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 30cm galangal, finely chopped
- 20cm ginger, finely chopped
- 5cm turmeric, finely chopped
- 50g fennel seeds
- 30g cumin seeds
- 200g sugar
- 5tsp salt
- 2kg chicken fillet, cut into pieces
- Peanut sauce
- 7 small red onions, finely sliced
- 4cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 1/2cm ginger, finely sliced
- 5 dried chillies, finely sliced
- 500g skinned peanuts, roasted and roughly pounded
- 2tsp tamarind paste, mixed with 10ml water
- 400g gula Melaka
- salt and sugar, to taste
- Place all the ingredients except the chicken into a blender and blitz to a paste. Rub the paste onto the chicken pieces and leave to marinate in the fridge for not more than 12 hours. Thread the chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers.
- On a grill, light some charcoal and leave to burn until flame is smouldering. Grill the satay skewers on all sides until cooked. While grilling, fan the flames occasionally, and lather on the marinade periodically, using a stick of lemongrass as a brush.
- Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the onions, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and chillies until onions are translucent. Pour the contents of the pan into a blender, add some water, then blend until smooth.
- Stir in the pounded peanuts and tamarind liquid, then pour into a pot. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the gula Melaka and season to taste. Add some water if sauce is too thick.
- The sauce is ready when the oil rises to the surface. Remove pot from heat and serve hot.