This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Herb Blend
- 10 bird’s eye chillies
- 5 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 10 g fresh turmeric (about 2cm)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (serai) about 20g
- Other Ingredient
- 500 ml water (or more)
- 150 g sweet potato leaves
- 100 g stink beans (petai) sliced
- 250 ml thick coconut cream (santan)
- 100 g fermented durian (tempoyak)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- Place the herb blend ingredients into a blender and process till fine.
- Place the paste into a pot, add the water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sweet potato leaves, stink beans, coconut cream and fermented durian and boil until the sweet potato leaves are cooked. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed white rice.
- Recipe Notes: You may boil the sweet potato leaves prior to cooking, until leaves soften. This will reduce the cooking time of the dish, and help to prevent the coconut milk from becoming too oily. If you do pre-cook the leaves, reduce the water content in the recipe to 250ml.