- Slice aubergines into 5cm (1-in) think rounds. Fry them in as little oil as possible using a non-stick pan. Cook aubergine rounds in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Prepare filling. Place tomatoes in a bowl with basil and garlic. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, followed by salt and pepper to taste. Add feta cheese and mix well.
- Using a non-stick pan with no oil, toast pine nuts for 2-3 minutes, tossing continuously so they do not burn.
- Add to filling and stir to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Place 4 of the largest aubergine rounds slightly apart on a baking tray. Spoon some filling on top, then sandwich with the next largest aubergine rounds.
- Repeat to stake the aubergines and filling until the ingredients are used up.
- Meanwhile, prepare tomato sauce. Using a blender, process canned tomatoes and chilli until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon tomato sauce onto 4 serving plates and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Arrange an aubergine stack on each plate and serve.
You may also like