This recipe and photo were provided by Mission Foods.
- For the beef:
- 250g beef (grass fed Australian sirloin)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- For the rendang sauce:
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2.5cm ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 200g shallots (roughly chopped)
- 50g dried chilli (soaked in hot water)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass (just the white part, bruised)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2.5cm galangal
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 50g kerisik
- For the beef: Season the meat with salt and pepper and coat with olive oil.
- Grill on one side for 4 minutes, turn over and continue grilling for another 3 minutes. Leave meat to rest for 4 minutes on a plate covered with aluminium foil. Then, dice in ¾ inch cubes.
- For the rendang sauce: In a food processor, blend salt, coriander, turmeric, ginger, garlic, shallots and chilli until it turns into a smooth paste.
- With the vegetable oil on medium heat, saute the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal until very fragrant.
- Add the spice paste from the food processor and saute, while constantly stirring until most of the moisture has evaporated (not much steam from paste). Then add coconut cream, palm sugar and kerisik. Turn down heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, do not burn the sauce. Add water if necessary.
- Then, add grilled beef to sauce. Serve with naan.