- '100g shallots
- '300g beetroot
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder
- 40ml red wine vinegar or other vinegars
- 800ml water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pepper to taste
- In a roomy saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the shallots until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the vodka, and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer until beetroot is soft.
- Add the vodka and blend in a food processor until smooth. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm or chilled, with a quenelle of mascarpone cheese or a big dollop of sour cream.