This recipe is best with
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 15g castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 15g butter
- 240g high protein flour
- 40g plain flour
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1/2 tsp bread improver
- 9g instant dried yeast
- 50g castor sugar
- 20g butter
- 85g lukewarm water
- 85g lukewarm fresh milk
- 20g melted butter for brushing
- Cinnamon powder and icing sugar combined
- Glaze (beaten)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- For the filling: Skin, core and dice apple. Melt butter in a non-stick pan. Add the apple, sugar and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes until apple turns
- slightly soft. Puree the cooked apple in a food processor.
- For the dough: Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in milk powder, bread improver, sugar and yeast. Make a well in the centre and pour in combined milk mixture and butter. Mix to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for about 10-12 minutes until no longer sticky to the touch. Place dough in a covered bowl to rise until double in bulk. This takes about 30-40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a flat rectangular sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle with combined cinnamon powder and icing sugar. Apply a light layer of apple puree. Sprinkle with a little more of the cinnamon powder mixture. Roll up tightly.
- Cut into 6 equal portions. Place each portion into an aluminium tart casing. Leave aside to prove until double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for about 15 minutes. Immediately after baking, brush the rolls with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle lightly with icing sugar.