This recipe is best with
- 45g carrot
- 80ml evaporated milk
- 55ml water
- A tinge of yellow food colouring
- 300g pau flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5g instant yeast
- 1 tsp double-action baking powder
- 60g castor sugar
- 25g butter
- 1/2 cup cooked red beans
- Shred carrot finely and place into a food processor. Add water and evaporated milk and a tinge of food colouring. Process into a fine carrot milk juice.
- Place sifted flour and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add yeast, double-action baking powder, sugar and butter. Pour in carrot milk juice. Process for 15 minutes on low speed until dough is soft and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film wrap and leave in a warm place in the kitchen for 30 to 35 minutes or until the dough has doubled in bulk.
- Remove dough onto a lightly floured table top. Punch down the dough.
- Roll out into a rectangle. Brush the dough with canola oil or melted butter. Spread red beans over the dough. Roll up carefully like a Swiss roll. Pinch the ends to seal up neatly.
- Cut into 2cm pieces. Using a sharp knife, cut five deep cuts over the top. (The cuts will open up to form the petals of a flower.) Place the rolls on a small piece of greaseproof paper.
- Steam the buns over rapid boiling water for eight minutes.