This recipe is best with
- 1 egg
- 300ml chilled water
- 50g butter
- 250g pastry margarine
- 125g plain flour
- 375g high protein flour
- 50g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp milk powder
- 1/2 tsp bread improver
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- Combine sifted flour and (A) in a food processor. Use a dough blade. Add in egg and mix well. Then add the water slowly and knead into a dough.
- Add the butter and knead until the dough is soft and smooth. Place dough in a greased basin and leave to rest and prove for 35 to 40 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- Next, place pastry margarine in a clean plastic bag and flatten by rolling out to 18cm x 22cm size. Freeze the margarine.
- Knock down dough and roll out flat to 30cm x 70cm size on a lightly floured surface. Place the well chilled pastry margarine in the centre, sprinkle lightly with flour, fold both sides over and close up the top and bottom edges neatly.
- Use the rolling pin to knock and spread out the margarine evenly. Put this piece of dough into a plastic/polythene bag and refrigerate for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take out dough and repeat the rolling and folding process. Then refrigerate the dough again.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 30cm x 65cm rectangle. Cut dough with a sharp knife to a long triangular strip. Roll to a crescent shape.
- Place rolled out pastry on a lightly greased baking tray.Leave to rise for 30 minutes. Brush with egg glaze and bake in a preheated oven at 220 ºC for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden in colour.