This recipe is best with
- 350g high protein flour
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250ml water
- 25g butter or corn oil
- 5 tsp milk powder
- Glaze (combine):
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- Sift flour and milk powder into a mixing bowl. Add yeast and sugar and blend for a minute on low speed.
- Stir in water and salt and continue to mix for one minute on low speed, using a dough hook. Blend in butter or corn oil and mix on medium speed for seven to eight minutes.
- Knead until dough turns smooth and elastic. Remove dough to a lightly oiled basin and prove covered for half an hour to one hour or until the dough is risen.
- Punch down the dough and knead by hand for one minute. Scale the dough into three equal portions of 160g each. Rest the balls of dough for five minutes. Flatten or roll each piece of dough into a 22cm x 20cm rectangle. Then roll up firmly into a long sausage shape (about 24cm long).
- Taper the ends and place the roll, seam-side down, diagonally on a greased and floured tray. Cover with plastic wrap and leave aside in a warm place to prove for one to one and a half hours or until dough is risen.
- Preheat oven at 220°C. Slash loaves diagonally with a sharp blade at regular intervals, then brush loaf with glaze. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 190°C.
- Remove loaf and brush with glaze again and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp and brown.