ALSO a popular Czech cookies (sachovnice) for Christmas. Other name: Checkerboard Cookie.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
This recipe is best with
- 240g butter (at room temperature)
- 170g icing sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (sifted + 1 tsp chocolate emulco)
- some beaten egg white
- 280 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 100 g corn flour
- 30 g milk powder
- Sift plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, corn flour and milk powder, set aside.
- Using an electric beater fitted with a paddle, beat butter, sugar and salt.
- Once salt dissolves, beat in egg yolk and vanilla essence.
- Mix in the sifted dry ingredients to form a dough.
- Divide dough into 2 portions.
- To one portion, add the cocoa powder and chocolate emulco, and beat to combine.
- Place each dough portion into a plastic bag and roll out to about 0.75cm thickness.
- Freeze the dough sheets for 2 hours.
- Remove and using a sharp knife, cut out 1cm strips for each coloured dough.
- On a clean plastic sheet, lay a strip of chocolate dough.
- Lightly brush some egg white on the side of the dough strip and lay a strip of plain dough next to it, pressing to adhere.
- Brush side again with egg white, and stick a strip of chocolate dough to the strip of plain dough.
- You will have a panel of three strips.
- Repeat to make another panel, alternating the colours using first a strip of plain dough followed by chocolate and plain again.
- Make a third panel, similar to the first.
- Brush the surface of the first panel with egg white and stack the second panel on top of it.
- Repeat for the third panel.
- Wrap the plastic sheet around the dough to help it keep its square shape.
- Freeze the block for 2 hours before slicing 0.5cm thick.
- Arrange the cookies onto greased trays.
- Preheat oven to 165°C.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- This cookie browns easily and sticks to the tray.
- Once lightly browned, remove tray from oven and cool cookies before storing