This recipe is best with
- 200g butter
- 175g castor sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 75g plain flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 70g dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 75g dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 25g glaced red cherries, coarsely chopped
- 25g raisins
- 125ml fresh UHT milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C and grease and lightly flour a kugelhop tin.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Should mixture curdle at this stage, sprinkle in a tablespoon of flour mixture.
- Combine sifted flour with ground almonds in a bowl. Add the red cherries, apricots, figs and raisins; mix well.
- Spoon in the flour and fruit into the butter mixture, alternating it with the milk and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spread butter on prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for about 50 to 55 minutes. Stand cake for five to 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.