This recipe is best with
- 300g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 15g butter
- 1 small egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- Tomato soup:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 300g canned tomato puree
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cube chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare gnocchi, cook cubed potatoes in boiling salted water till tender then mash. Add butter, egg, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix in just enough flour to make a soft yet manageable dough.
- Form pieces of dough into oval shapes and cook in boiling water (a few pieces at a time) until gnocchi rises to the top. Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon and drain well. Place gnocchi on individual dishes and serve together with tomato soup.
- For the tomato soup, heat oil in a saucepan and fry garlic and onion till fragrant. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, chicken stock cube and water. Cook to a boil then lower heat and simmer for five to 10 minutes. Add basil, black pepper and a pinch of salt to taste.
- Serve soup hot with a sprinkling of more fresh chopped basil leaves.