This recipe is best with
- 620g tapioca, peeled and grated
- 600g grated pumpkin
- 400g castor sugar
- 100g palm sugar (gula Melaka)
- 2 grated coconuts, squeezed to obtain 400ml thick coconut milk
- 25g butter
- Stir together
- 4 tbsp evaporated milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60g corn flour
- 5g bicarbonate of soda
- Wash grated tapioca in water, drain in a plastic colander until dry, then squeeze out bitter juice using a piece of muslin cloth.
- Lightly grease a 23cm square tray with margarine and line with banana leaf.
- Melt palm sugar in a wok over a very low heat; add in butter, sugar, tapioca, pumpkin and coconut milk, egg and evaporated milk mixture, salt, corn flour and bicarbonate of soda. Stir well to combine with a hand whisk for 6-7 minutes.
- Pour into prepared tray and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 55-65 minutes or until it is firm and golden and the crust is browned and aromatic.
- Cool the bengka completely before cutting.