This recipe is best with
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Mutsu apples (Crispin) or Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a jumbo muffin 6-muffin tin (or a regular 12-muffin tin).
- Whisk together egg, oil, milk and sugar. In a separate bowl, sift flours, baking powder, salt and stir into egg mixture.
- Fold in 1-cup cheese, apples and dates.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine 2 tbsp cheddar with Turbinado sugar and sprinkle on top of muffins during the last 10 minutes of baking.