This Apple Shortcake recipe will fill your home with a delicious aroma hours after baking. Enjoy this spiced slice on a cold rainy day, or double the quantity and prepare it for Christmas. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Orange Carrot Cake
- Cherry Cheesecake
- Coffee and Cinnamon Hazelnut Cake
- Honeycomb Cake
- Mocha Cream Brownie
- Banana Frangipane Cake
- Salted Caramel Coconut and Macadamia Shortbread
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1kg green apples (peeled, cored, cubed)
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ lemon grated zest
- 250 g margarine
- 240 g caster sugar
- ½tsp fine salt
- 1½ lemons (zested)
- 6 large eggs (beaten)
- 300 g self-raising flour (sifted)
- 2tsp baking powder (sifted)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Grease and line a 25 x 30 x 5cm rectangular pan with parchment paper, overhanging on two opposite sides. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Add lemon juice to cubed apples.
- Heat margarine in a frying pan over medium heat. Add apples and sugar, and stir until apples caramelise. Remove from heat and mix with lemon zest.
- Beat margarine, sugar, salt and lemon zest with electric mixer until light and creamy. Add eggs in three batches until combined. Fold in flour and baking powder in three batches until incorporated.
- Spread half the mixture into the pan. Arrange half of the caramelised apples, then add the remaining mixture. Top with remaining apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool.