The fruit in this version of the Banana Frangipane Cake helps add body and moisture to the cake. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Nut base
- 30g margarine
- 30g brown sugar
- 2tbsp flour
- 100g almond flakes, toasted
- 100g margarine
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 125g ground almonds
- 100g icing sugar
- ¼tsp fine salt
- 40g self-raising flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- 3large eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g mashed bananas, berangan
- 2tbsp rum, optional
- 4 ripe bananas, thickly sliced
- Grease and line sides and base of a 22cm square cake pan with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C. Mix the nut base ingredients. Spread over the base of the pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Sift together ground almonds, sugar, salt, flour and baking powder.
- Beat margarine and vanilla with the almond mixture in an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly add eggs, mixing until light. Mix in mashed bananas and rum, if using.
- Spread half the cake mixture over the crust, arrange two-thirds of the banana slices, then add in the remaining mixture and smoothen. Arrange remaining banana slices on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked. Leave in pan for 5 minutes before lifting cake out to wire rack to cool.