Featuring sinful and aromatic coconut milk, the salted caramel helps balance the richness of this Salted Caramel Coconut and Macadamia Shortbread recipe.
This recipe first appeared in Flavours magazine.
- 250g margarine
- 60g icing sugar
- ¼tsp fine salt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 275g plain flour, sifted
- 75g rice flour, sifted
- 60g margarine
- 150g brown sugar
- 20g liquid glucose
- 150g thick coconut milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 400g macadamia nuts, toasted
- Sea salt flakes to taste
- Grease and line the sides and base of a 20cm square cake pan with parchment paper, overhanging sides. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Beat margarine, sugar, salt and vanilla with electric mixer until creamy. Add in both flours slowly and mix on low speed. Spread mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
- Stir margarine, sugar and glucose in a pan over low heat, until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil over medium heat without stirring until it caramelises.
- Stir in coconut milk, simmer over low heat without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Mix with eggs and nuts. Pour over shortbread. Bake for 30 minutes or until it sets. Remove and sprinkle with salt. Cool in pan for 20 minutes before transferring to rack to cool.