Ramadan is here, which means those observing the monthly fast have to get up in the wee hours of morning for sahur, the first meal of the day. This predawn breakfast is crucial as it provides the only sustenance and nourishment for the day until the post-sunset buka puasa, when the fasting is broken.
If you are looking for quick, convenient, healthy and delicious meals to prepare, celebrity chef Anis Nabilah has this perfect recipe from her own sahur repositories.
To read more about the interviews with Anis Nabilah, visit this page.
- Group A: Prawn stock
- 100g prawns
- 2½ cups water
- Group B: Porridge
- 2 cups rice, wash and drained
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock/ broth
- 2 cups homemade beef stock/ broth
- 2 pandan leaves, tied in a knot
- 3 lemongrass, bruised
- 1 red onion, blended
- 1 inch ginger, julienned
- 1 sup bunjut mix
- 1 tbsp fenugreek
- 100g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 100g beef, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Sea salt
- Ground white pepper
- Group C: For sautéing
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 4 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Group D: Garnishing
- 1 stalk spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig Chinese celery
- 1 poached egg
- 1 tbsp deep fried shallots
- 1 tbsp deep fried garlic
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- To make prawn stock: Shell and devein prawns. Keep shells and set prawns aside. In a pot, add shells and water. Once boiling, reduce liquid to 2 cups. Strain mixture, removing shells. Set aside.
- To cook porridge: Boil rice in a pot with all the stocks/ broth, pandan leaves, lemongrass, blended onion, ginger, sup bunjut, fenugreek, chicken and beef until the rice starts to break apart and and you get a thick porridge consistency.
- Add coconut milk, prawns and season with salt and pepper. Leave it to boil for another 5 more minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan and sauté shallots, onion, ginger, cloves, cardamom, star anise, and cinnamon sticks. Once fragrant, immediately pour everything into the pot of porridge. Give it a quick stir and garnish with garnishing ingredients.