This divine Honeycomb Cake has all the sinful indulgences any Malaysian could ask for: coconut milk and pandan flavouring. Enjoy! This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 120 g hot water
- 150 g coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 pandan leaves (knotted)
- 60 g margarine
- 200 g condensed milk
- 5 large eggs
- 125 g plain flour
- 15 g corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Grease base and sides of a 9-inch Bundt or round cake pan and coat with flour, tip excess off. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- To make syrup, add the 2 Tbsp water to the sugar and place in a small pan over medium heat. Without stirring, let the sugar caramelise.
- When the mixture turns amber, add hot water and stir until the crystalised sugar dissolves.
- Add salt to the coconut milk, then pour into sugar mixture together with the pandan leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove, discard pandan leaves and leave to cool.
- Beat the margerine, milk and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. On low speed, add in the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for 1 minute.
- Add in the cooled syrup and mix well. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked.Turn cake out on wire rack to cool.