This recipe is best with
- 300g all purpose flour
- 150g brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium-sized eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g canola / safflower / corn oil / melted butter
- 500g bananas, mashed well
- 100g walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- caramelized walnuts
- 100g walnuts, toasted with a pinch of salt and coarsely chopped
- 80g sugar
- 25g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp cream
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celcius. Line muffin moulds with paper liner / spray with non stick cooking grease / brush with melted butter.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nuts.
- In another bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Gently fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients just until combined (the batter will look lumpy, thick and chunky).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared moulds 3/4 full and bake for 20 - 25 minutes in preheated oven or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before unmoulding the muffins and garnish with caramelized nuts / as you desire.
- To caramelize walnuts: In a saucepan, caramelize the water and sugar. Once caramelized, add in butter and lastly stir in the cream and mix well. Toss the chopped nuts into the caramel and garnish on the muffins.
- Now the muffins are ready to be served.