This chocolate lava cake is a must-try. With cake on the outside and spilling over with gooey chocolate from the inside, it’s a favourite among adults and kids. For more, try a dollop of ice cream on top. Best with vanilla ice cream or strawberry.
Serve it immediately after cooking for the chocolate to stay gooey..
- Oil or butter (for greasing)
- cocoa powderfor dusting
- 150g good quality chocolate, chopped
- 150g unsalted butter
- 75g brown sugar, soft
- 3 eggs, Grade B
- 2 egg yolks
- 120g plain flour
- 1 ¼ tbsp cocoa powder
- Lightly grease a few ovenproof cups or ramekins and dust lightly with cocoa powder. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Whisk the sugar, eggs and egg yolks until light and pale, then pour unto the melted chocolate-and-butter mixture.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients with a metal spoon. Stir mixture into a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- When the outside of the cake is crisp to the touch, carefully turn the cake out onto individual serving plates.
- Serve with a dollop of ice-cream if preferred.
- Note: The cakes should be served immediately while it is still hot.