This recipe is best with
- Green Tea Mousse:
- 4 egg yolks
- 15g icing sugar
- 1.7kg mascarpone cheese
- 4g gelatine powder
- 35ml milk
- 8g green tea powder
- 60g egg whites
- 35g sugar
- 60g whipped cream
- Butter Sponge:
- 4 eggs
- 80g sugar
- 480g flour, sieved
- 120g corn flour
- 100g melted butter (lukewarm)
- To make Green Tea Mousse: Using a mixer, whip yolks and icing sugar until pale. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix until smooth.
- Soak gelatine in milk for 10 minutes and then mix the green tea into the gelatine mixture. Combine the yolks and green tea mixture.
- Using a clean and dry mixer, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar as you whip to form a meringue. Fold this together with the whipped cream into the green tea mixture with a spatula.
- To make Butter Sponge: Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until fluffy.
- Fold in portions of flour and corn flour. Mix well and add the melted butter.
- Line a 23cm (9”) round pan with parchment paper. Pour in the cake batter to about 3mm high and bake at 220-230°C for 12 minutes. (Three sponge layers are needed).
- Remove cake from the oven and immediately turn tray onto marble/ metal surface to cool. Once cooled, refrigerate for an hour.
- To assemble: Remove sponge layers from the refrigerator and gently rub off the brown skin of the sponge.
- In a 23cm (9”) x 5cm (2”) round pan, line the base with 1 sponge layer. Spread with half of the green tea mousse. Level mousse with spatula and place another sponge layer on top. Press down gently. Top with remaining mousse. Level it off and cap off with the final layer of sponge.
- Leave in the freezer for at least 4 hours to set before serving.
- Note: Use loose-bottom pan for easier removal of cake.