This recipe is best with
- 175g butter
- 125g cream cheese - at room temperature
- 200g fine castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 180g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp plain UHT milk
- 50g almonds - chopped coarsely
- Lemon glaze icing:
- 100g icing sugar
- 1-1/4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp lemon yellow colouring
- Cream butter well then add in cream cheese and continue to beat until well combined. Beat in sugar until light and fluffy and add in vanilla essence and eggs one at a time.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients and combine well. Mix in lemon juice and milk. Add in almonds and stir well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven at 170°c for 60-70 minutes or until cooked through. Cool the cake in pan on a wire rack before turning it out.
- To make lemon glaze icing: Warm lemon juice and melt icing sugar in it. Spoon lemon glaze icing over cake in a dripping manner from the top. Let stand until glaze sets well.
- Preparation of pan: Grease well a bundt tin and coat lightly with flour.