This recipe is best with
- 80g dried figs, cut into small pieces
- 125g pitted prunes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 375ml water
- 50g dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 175g butter
- 110g brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp rum liqueur
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- Put figs and prunes into a saucepan with 2 tbsp brown sugar and water. Cook over a gentle flame, covered for 15 minutes or until fruits are tender. Add apricots then remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes until liquid has almost completely evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Line and grease a 28 x 8cm oblong cake pan. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Beat butter and 110g brown sugar in an electric mixer until light. Add essence and eggs one at a time and continue to cream until fluffy. If it curdles, add a tablespoon of flour. Add rum liqueur and fold in sifted flour. Mix well.
- Stir in cooled fruit mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes. Lower the heat to 160°C and continue to bake for 30 minutes or until cake is cooked through when tested with a wooden skewer.