- Grease sides and line base of a 21cm round or square cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Dab dry pitted cherries with paper-towels and coat with the extra self-raising flour.
- Cream butter, castor sugar, vanilla essence and 2 tablespoons dark cherry syrup till light and fluffy. Stir in kirsch to mix. Add egg yolks one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients gradually followed by 2 tablespoons dark cherry syrup.
- Beat egg whites for 1020 seconds. Add in 1 tablespoon castor sugar and continue to beat until just stiff. Fold egg whites or meringue into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared tin. Shake off excess flour from the cherries and drop them into the batter one at a time.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 170°C and continue to bake for 60 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
You may also like