- 1 roasting chicken, about 4 pounds, cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sherry or broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 small white onions, halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced turnip or rutabaga
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/3 cup flour mixed with 1/2 cup lukewarm water to form a paste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add the chicken pieces; brown on all sides. Add water, sherry, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add onions, peas, carrots, turnip, potatoes and corn; cover and simmer for another 35 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and water mixture; continue cooking until stew is thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice, if desired.