A delicious steamed fish with ginger paste for the upcoming CNY!
- 1.3kg garoupa fish head
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 1tbsp rice wine
- Ginger Paste
- 100g old ginger, preferably Bentong ginger, sliced
- 30g garlic, peeled
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 2sprigs coriander
- 2tbsp rice wine
- 2tbsp sesame oil
- 1tsp chicken stock powder
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1/2tsp cornflour
- 1/2tsp salt
- Coriander leaves , spring onion curls and chilli curls.
- Rinse fish head well and wipe dry. Season with the salt, pepper and rice wine. Set aside for 25 minutes.
- Blend the old ginger, garlic, shallots and coriander in an electric blender to a fine paste. Add the seasoning and mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and fry the ginger paste briefly, until fragrant. Dish out.
- Place fish head in a heatproof shallow plate and steam for 10 minutes over high heat. Remove from heat and carefully drain away the steaming liquid.
- Spoon the prepared ginger paste over the fish head and steam over high heat for 12 minutes, or until cooked.
- Garnish fish head with coriander leaves, spring onion curls and chilli curls.
5 thoughts on “Steamed fish head with ginger paste”
Lovely, it taste so good, I made it for today’s lunch but I used kerapu fish, turned out awesome
Do I need to use rice in this recipe? Is there an alternative ingredient as I am a Muslim.
You can substitute rice wine with apple juice, white grape juice or even lemon juice. The acid in the juice acts as a tenderiser in stir-fry marinades. However, the flavour will be slightly differ from the original.
Hope this helps.
The Kuali Team.
i am a follower of Dear Amy Beh”s receipe, I have 100% trust in her receipe. Thank you Amy for your unselfish sharing of your receipes. I am still looking for our receipe Book 2
i like your steam fish recipe, very yummy 👍👍 tyvm