My Foolproof Recipe I was hunting around for a muffin recipe that is family friendly (which means that my 2 year old son would want to eat it), healthier (less sweet and incorporates healthy ingredients), easy and foolproof and stumbled across a recipe for Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread which I had adapted it into muffins! You will never guess there is vegetables in the muffins. Zucchini is rich in magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, potassium, folate, Vitamin A, B, C, zinc, calcium, iron, and choline. Greek yoghurt adds protein as well as makes the muffins moist. A very nutritious dessert indeed! Needless to say, the muffins were gone very fast!
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (125g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (42g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup (135g) semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) degrees. Spray a 12-count pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini on a couple paper towels to absorb some (but not all!) moisture. Press a paper towel on top as well. Set aside until step 4.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, instant coffee, and chocolate chips together until combined. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla together until completely combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and lightly whisk until combined. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the zucchini. Fill each liner to the top with batter
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C). Then, keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for an additional 14-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes 10-12 muffins.