Welcome, Kuali Bakers! This time, we are showcasing all the most ‘terer’ Malaysian-themed burnt cheesecake submissions here! To enter our giveaway, all you need to do is serve up your most ‘terer’ Malaysian-themed burnt cheesecake using Anchor Cream Cheese, which is the key ingredient to a yummylicious silky burnt cheesecake. Read our full instructions here to win! This recipe is courtesy of Ros Sharrenah for the “Burnt Cheesecake, Let’s Make It Malaysian-lah!” Contest.
“Apam Balik has been part of the tradition of local Malaysian street food for centuries. It’s one of the varieties of chewy pancakes which is famous in Southeast Asia. Apam Balik is generally crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. These Malaysian pancakes are served on one side and folded over on themselves. They come in the form of half-moons. Also, traditional Apam Balik is garnished with roasted and crushed peanuts, cane sugar and sweet corn. We tried to infuse the Malaysian flavour of Apam Balik into the most comforting cheesecake of all time; Burnt Cheesecake. The crunch of the roasted groundnut adds a nutty bite which also complements the crumb base. Not to forget, the creamy corn paste which is combined with the cream cheese batter add extra richness to the cake.” – Ros Sharrenah
- 500 g Anchor Cream Cheese
- 200 g Castor Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 3 Eggs
- 250ml Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons Self-raising flour
- 230g creamy corn paste
- 80g Salted Butter
- 190g roasted groundnuts (peeled)
- Crush the digestive biscuits and roasted groundnuts in a zipper bag until it becomes fine crumbs. In a bowl, add the crushed crumbs and melted butter and mix it well until it turns into a wet sand texture.
- Line a 7-inch deep tray with parchment paper and add the crumbs mixture. Press the crumbs mixture into the tray using the base of a glass or mug. Refrigerate the tray for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese and mix it well using a hand mixer until it becomes smooth.
- Then, add castor sugar and vanilla essence into the bowl and mix well.
- Next, add eggs one by one and mix well. After that, add whipping cream and continue mixing.
- Finally, add a few teaspoons of the creamy corn paste as the topping. Finally, add a few teaspoons of the creamy corn paste as the topping.
- Pour the batter into the prepped tray and bake it at 200 degrees celsius for 1 hour.