- Top and tail the Okra pods, ie cut off the ends.
- Cut the pods into approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Place the sliced Okra into a glass or stainless steel bowl and sprinkle the salt liberally over the pods.
- Cover the pods with the iced water, making sure that all the slices are under water.
- Place the bowl containing the Okra and water in a refrigerator and leave for 2 or more hours
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and drain off the salt water.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet until it begins to shimmer.
- Add the Okra and fry until lightly brown(Approximately 10 minutes).
- You will need to turn the Okra to prevent sticking.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fry for a further 3 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Serve hot as a vegetable side dish.
- Also great cold, between to slices of fresh bread for a tasty sandwich.
You may also like