This recipe is best with
- 1 packet Big Sister's Mixed Fruits
- 200 gm of raisins or sultanas (optional)
- 75 gm chopped walnut (or almonds)
- 225gm plain flour(Pau Flour or Superfine also can)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 225 gm butter (not too soft)
- 100 gm brown sugar or white sugar + treacle
- 4 big eggs
- 2 tbsp honey - add into fruits
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp rum (or replaced with 1 tsp vanilla & 1/2 tsp rose flsvour)
- 1 lemon rind
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or 1 tbsp lime juice)
- Cut the fruits into small pieces, add in the nuts, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, & rum. Keep for a few hours or overnite.
- Sieve flour with baking powder, soda bicarbonate and spices together. Divide into two portions, mix one portion with the fruits and nuts.
- Whisk eggs for a short while. Then add in sugar slowly and whisk till thick. Pour into another bowl.
- Cream butter till light and creamy. Then add in eggs mixture, lemon juice and the grated rind.
- Fold in the flour and alternately with the mix fruits carefully till finish.
- Pour mixture into a 8 sq. tin which has been greased & lined.
- Bake in over at 350 deg.F for 1/2 hour and then reduce the heat to 250 deg.F for another 1/2 hour or until cooked.