This dish is one of Hameediyah’s signature dishes that has customers coming back for more. Whether the restaurant is too far to visit, or just down the corner, try replicating the dish with this recipe.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Chicken marinade
- 2 whole chickens (cut into desired sizes)
- 30 g ground turmeric
- 30 g ground ginger
- 30 g ground garlic
- 10 g ground chilli
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 120 ml oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 big red onions (sliced)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger (heaped)
- 1 tbsp ground garlic (heaped)
- 1 tbsp Yoghurt (heaped)
- 180 g meat curry powder(for best results use Hameediyah’s curry powder)
- 72 g chilli paste
- 20 g turmeric powder
- 120 ml coconut milk
- a few red chillies according to preferred level of spiciness
- salt and sugar to taste
- 70g tomato puree
- Coat the chicken pieces with the seasoning and leave to marinate for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the chicken until just cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add the bay leaves and onions, frying until onions soften.
- Mix the ground ginger and garlic into the yoghurt and add it to the pan. In a separate bowl, mix the curry powder, chilli paste and turmeric powder then add to the pan. Fry until fragrant.
- Add the fried chicken, followed by the coconut milk and chillies. Season with salt and sugar.
- Finally, pour in tomato puree and stir for another 2 minutes.
To cook chicken
To cook curry